Letter from the Rector: LENT IS AROUND THE CORNER!
Dear siblings in Christ,
COS’s preparations for its Annual Meeting on February 5th at 9 am make it easier to lose sight of the fact that the season of Lent is quickly approaching. I’m writing to you now to share our plans for this holy season.
Lent will begin this year on February 22nd, with Ash Wednesday services at 7 am (in Grace Chapel), Noon (Historic Sanctuary), and 7:30 pm (Historic Sanctuary). Your staff and lay leaders then plan to offer several Lenten opportunities, one of which can be used as confirmation preparation.
• The Rev. Jeff Thornberg will lead a Scripture and Theology Class twice each Sunday during Lent , at 9 am AND again 5 pm in Cleaver Hall. This class is intended for adults of all backgrounds and will cover the various emphases of the Gospels of Mark (2/26), Matthew (3/5), Luke (3/12), and John (3/19). On 3/26 the class will explore Holy Week in the four Gospels. The 5 pm class will be followed by a potluck dinner after each class. (Note: Attendance at these classes fulfills a preparation requirement for confirmation at the bishop’s visit on Sunday, April 16th at 10 am.)
• The Rev. Anne Thornberg will offer a Parenting Group on Sundays during Lent at 9 am. This group presents an opportunity for fellowship and discussion about how to navigate parenting in 2023 and will be held in the Church Offices. Childcare will be provided.
• Hannah Riley will teach an Acolyte Master Class on Sundays in Lent at 9 am in the Acolyte Clubhouse (the room where acolytes vest by the church back parking lot). Kids (age 5–18) will hear acolyte mysteries and lore, explore cool places, and see/ touch fancy vestments and church treasures. They'll learn too!
• The Rev. Tim Hartley will lead a Lenten Morning Prayer Monday – Thursday at 7 am in St. Luke's Chapel. Add this beautiful, simple service to your Lenten routine!
• Juli Kennedy will again organize a daily Lenten practice, Praying for Our Parish, in which participants will pray daily for a small group of fellow parishioners. Email email@example.com to be part of this Lenten COS tradition!
Contact the staff member/lay leader noted above, or call the church office if you are interested in any of these opportunities, or please speak to me. All may, none must, some should!