The Vestry is a spiritual community that serves as a “board of directors” overseeing the financial, spiritual, physical buildings, and outreach ministries of Church of Our Saviour. Individual Vestry members serve as liaisons between the multitude of ministries at Church of Our Saviour and report on the ministries to the Vestry on a regular basis.
As the Coronavirus situation continues to evolve, we all find ourselves wondering when things will return to normal—and what the new normal will be. Your Vestry is grappling with these same concerns. We are communicating with the Rector daily and convening weekly meetings via Zoom. Like everyone else in the world, we are in survival mode, making tough decisions to ensure that we survive as a church and as a community of faith. Together, we will get through this.
We worship God, follow Jesus, are led by the Holy Spirit, share our faith, and serve in the world.
In 1867, Church of Our Saviour became the first Protestant Church in the San Gabriel Valley. It was the dream of Mrs.. Frances Vinton of Rhode Island who, in 1859, envisioned a time when “The Glory of God might be told from sea to sea.”
COS began as a Sunday school. It gained strength when services began to be held at the school. These services were attended by some of the most prominent figures in early California history, most notably the family of Don Benito Wilson. This small Sunday school converged with its destiny when Mrs. Vinton sent $2500 in cash via stagecoach to the Los Angeles Diocese to purchase land on Roses Road and build a church.